Friday, April 20, 2012

Ben-Hur

Ben-Hur, narrates two tales at a time. One of Jesus of Nazareth and the other of Judah Ben-Hur. I still remember my uncle narrating some scenes from the movie. He was nostalgic and was sure that those where the days of great movies. I never got a chance to watch Ben-Hur and even when I got I was put down by the length of the movie and the oldness. But today after seeing it, I have to admit, there is a magic to the movie. The atmosphere, the scenes, the characters, the set... they are breathtaking and admirable.

The movie focuses on Judah and his journey to seek revenge. A revenge to his friend for betraying him and his family by putting them in prison without any proper cause.

The story is very moving and touching. It shows the journey of Judah from imprisonment to freedom to riches to the famous chariot race and to the end where he recognizes and realizes about Jesus. It also portrays the tension between the Jews and the Roman empire.

Even though Jesus is not the focus of the movie, the director doesn't fail to keep the viewers aware of his presence. Once he is shown helping Judah by providing him with water on his way to the gallows.

This movie has great characters and roles that one can look up to, and admire.

It is a long movie, but I have to add, it is a great watch.

More information and review at IMDB

No comments: