Saturday, May 7, 2011

Raincoat


Kisi mausam ka jhoka tha, jo is deewar pe latki hui tasveer tirchi kar gaya hai
Gaye saawan mein ye deewarein yun seeli nahi thi

Na jaane is dafa kyun, inme seelan aa gayi hai, dareerein pad gayi hain,
Aur seelan is tarah behti hai jaise khushq rukhsaron pe geeli aansoo chalti hain.


It was back in 2004, that I came across the Raincoat trailer on television. It seemed so murky and forlorn then, that I never once bothered to acknowledge it. The movie didn’t make it big and was listed under the flops of the year category, as far as I could remember. Though the exclusive music in the movie did make it to the news and I always had my ears for it.
Just last week did I come across the song (Mathura Nagarpati) from my messed up hard disk that I decided to watch it on YouTube. The music video felt inebriating and I went for the whole movie successively.

And as for the review.
You have the sheering rain. The simplest of dialogues. The alcoholic vocals of Shubha Mudgal. A raincoat. And two estranged lovers who will convene to play around with a game of words. That’s all Rituparno Ghosh took to create a sheer brilliance of a motion picture. It won the National Award for Best Hindi Film in 2005.

Adapted from a short story (The Gift of the Magi) by O Henry, comes this hauntingly beautiful movie that will intoxicate you within its landscape of moist Calcutta.  The subtleness of the movie brings in that inciting feeling of goose bumps throughout and not to mention the enrapturing of senses by Aishwarya Rai’s eloquently formidable performance. I loved the movie. And I repeat, I loved the movie. And I ask you of this:

DO NOT view any music videos from the movie.
DO NOT read any other reviews on the movie.
DO NOT even bother to Google the movie.
Just WATCH THE MOVIE in solitude.

YouTube has a copy of it. Get ready for a ride into darkness. Into the world of words that will cry in damp truths and sullen lies. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sure...will watch it, but have to get in the mood........:)